The present beach of Flushing Bay has been to a great extent modified by the improvement of LaGuardia Airport. Prior to the airplane terminal opened in December 1939, a huge number of cubic yards of landfill were added toward the western shoreline of the narrows to make space for runways. In 1966, the Port Authority expanded the northern end of Runway 4 (or 22) by 2,000 feet (610 m) and the western end of Runway 13 (or 31) by 1,500 feet (460 m) by building a 50-section of land (20 ha), heap bolstered solid deck over parts of Flushing Bay, including the Rikers Island Channel. In the 1990s, around 20 sections of land (8 ha) of Flushing Bay were filled into make an overwhelm at the eastern end of Runway 13 (or 31). To counterbalance the loss of wetlands, new wetlands were built nearby the air terminal in Flushing Bay and in Little Neck Bay.
Concerns have emerged given the closeness to a flight way into LaGuardia Airport, despite the fact that the administration of New York City has expressed that the configuration incorporates satisfactory shields to keep the office from pulling in herds of fledglings that may be hurtful to airliners. Go easily from Flushing Bay to LGA through http://www.roslynlimousine.com/.